Saturday, November 5, 2011

Grocery store networking

I had to go to our local grocery store today to pick up shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, bananas, and a few other odds and ends. I wore my Walk Now For Autism Speaks Committee t-shirt. I love this shirt. Not only because it helps to spread awareness, but because it is midnight blue. My favorite color:) Anywho, I was shopping when I heard a woman say "My kid has Autism". I turned around and realized that she was talking to me! She had seen my shirt and the blue puzzle piece lapel pin. We started up a conversation about Autism and our children. We touched base on discipline, diet, medication, pretty much all the normal things us mom's of children with Autism talk about. Another woman pulled up with her cart and the woman I was talking to said, "I am a single mom and this is my best friend. She is my support group. With out her I don't know where I would be." When we parted ways, she said "I'll pray for you and your family, could you say one or two for me?" I said "Thank you, and of course I will!" It was so nice to talk to someone that wasn't a part of my usual group of people. I don't know very many other mom's with children who have Autism. I know about a handful. I didn't get her name, or her number, but we understood each other right away. I now regret not exchanging information, not only because I have a TON of resources that could help her, but because I want to expand my support group. Not only to get support for myself, but to be supportive in turn. That ten minute conversation really got me thinking about who I turn to for support, and I realized that I usually only turn to my husband. Granted, I will always turn to him, but it would be nice to have other mom friends in the same boat as me. I do have one friend that I am really close with who has a son with Autism, but we aren't able to get together very often. Facebook and other social network sites have been great with online support, but I want to start collecting support locally. This way we can do things together as a group. If someone has a meltdown, each one of us will understand and not give dirty looks, or say rude things not-so-under-our-breaths. I may never met this woman again, I may never know her name, but she has inspired me to get out there and push for more awareness and support. So thank you to a very friendly mom who needed someone to talk to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment