Monday, November 7, 2011

Something new for Joshua

Let me say up front that this idea was stolen (and yes, I mean stolen:) from Joshua's ABA therapist Amy. (Amy, you rock for this one! He loves it and now he has his own!) Between Amy and I, using this, we have taught him the following signs; all the different colors of the rainbow, frog, spider, jump, more, again, open, please, my turn, all done and go. Here is a list of supplies, instructions and pictures to help you make your own!

Materials needed:
An empty and cleaned parmesan cheese container
4-8 straws (preferably in different colors.)
Jumping critters
scissors

First start by cleaning out a used parmesan cheese container


Then take your straws and cut them so they will fit inside the container


Then get yourself some jumping critters. I got mine for free at the local Walk Now For Autism Speaks walk.   One of the vendors was giving away free fidgets and they had some of these. When I explained what I wanted them for, they let me take a handful.


Here is how I use this. I start out by sitting down on the floor with Joshua, I sit with pretzel legs. I empty out the container in my lap and start with the jumping critters. I make him sign for the critters by color or type and then make him sign "jump". If he signs "frog, jump" or "orange, jump" then I will make it jump off my knee and he picks it up and puts it into the large opening of the container. 



Once I've gone through all the critters I move on to straws. I make him sign the color or "my turn" and then hold the straws out really high, or off to the side so he has to look and reach for them. Then he can put them in the three little holes in the container. 



Once we are all done if he wants to do it again I will rotate the signs "more" and "again" to get him to ask to play. You can even use "play". Then I make him sign "open" for me to open it up and start again. There are so many ways you can teach sign language or work on brain function. If your child  is verbal you can do this but have them repeat what you say instead. When you are all done the container keeps everything together for you! It's a GREAT therapy toy and usually either cheap or in my case free to make:) 








3 comments:

  1. You can also spread the critters and straws out around the room. Then have your child go get what critter or color you have requested. This turns the activity into a receptive and "more active" activity. You can also use Pom poms to have your child poke the Pom Pom in. This works on pointing. Also cover up the opening in play and then you can add the word "move". Hope to hear more ideas from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could inspire an inspiring mom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!!!! Those are great ideas too:)I didn't know you were on here! You are so sweet:) Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete